In October 1956, a group of Louisa County citizens met with the idea of forming a countywide rescue squad for its population of approximately 12,900 citizens. Invited to the meeting were members of the Orange County Rescue Squad who brought some of their equipment and shared information about rescue work. Officers were chosen, a plan was made and Louisa County Rescue Squad was charted on November 1, 1956. Station wagons would be the first ambulances — each to be located in the Towns of Louisa and Mineral. The public was invited & encouraged to participate in a first aid class or assist with fund raising activities.
On November 5, 1956, nineteen men completed an American Red Cross First Aid course. A week later, over a hundred people gathered at the first campaign to raise funds for the new organization that netted $3,600.00.
On January 11, 1957, a 1957 Ford station wagon equipped with necessary emergency first aid gear and Duty Unit #1, a four-man duty crew, was ready to answer emergency calls in. On duty from 8pm until 6am, the first duty crew would be available for rescue calls for the next seven nights before the next crew would take over. Calls for help would be routed through telephone operators, the Sheriff’s Office, the Louisa Medical Center or local State Troopers.
Hundreds of rescue members have given their time to serve those in need of medical assistance. Basic first aid classes have given way to advanced life support technicians. The station wagons of 1956 have been replaced with diesel truck chassis & box units containing high-tech equipment routinely used in life and death situations.
The 60+ year success of Louisa County Rescue Squad is attributed to the commitment of its members and the citizens of Louisa County. The rescue members have provided the care, the citizens have provided the means — to include both financial support for operational expenses and emotional support from friends and families — neither of which we can or would want to do without.